Saturday, January 12, 2013

Is IH head trauma?

I read an article this week in the NYTimes about the suicide of former N.F.L. linebacker Junior Seau. Seems the autopsy showed he suffered from a degenerative brain disease as a result of brain trauma from his years of playing football. What really caught my eye and pierced my heart for me, though was how they diagnosed it. They found these tangles of protein in his brain that can be caused by trauma but are ALSO found in the brains of those with Alzheimer's and other progressive neurological disorders.

Um. WHAT

Although the pain and pressure of my IH is relatively well controlled by medication, I can tell it is taking a small toll on me as I age. I'll be 45 in a few weeks. Sometimes it is hard to tell what issues are because I'm almost 45 and which are because my brain is under constant siege. My neuro insists it is age at this point. haha. Thank goodness.

But I have to believe deep in my heart that it is causing damage. The pressure has to be causing trauma that can't been seen yet. That scares me. I mean, I need my brain and all.

The pressure has brought with it migraines and mad cranial nerves and body aches and has drained my bank account. It's a real peach. But my future. And the health of my brain as an organ. That worries me the most.

Is this constant trauma? What is this? When does the brain cry uncle?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete