Monday, June 6, 2011

She's Not Faking It and It's Not Just a Headache!

I'll jump in feet first today.  It's not just a headache!  This will probably hit a nerve with many of you.  I am going on strike and never calling IH pain a headache again!  From now on, it will be called "pain."  I'll only answer questions about my daughter's well being as to whether or not she is in pain today.  The word "headache" is banished.

So what brought this about?  Yet another round of commiseration with her pain.  When asked how she was doing lately, I mentioned that she had a few rough weeks recently.  I was then advised that not enough sleep can cause headaches; not drinking enough can cause headaches; stress can cause headaches; allergies cause headaches; too much homework can cause headaches; yadaydayada... Of course all those things can cause a headache -- just a single headache.  Not 3 weeks of misery!

You would think that setting myself up for frustrating situations would have stopped years ago, but I guess I'm a slow learner.  Therefore, I'll save you other parents some time.  Don't refer to your child's IH problems as a headache.  There is a difference between a headache and IH pain.  Technically, IH pain is categorized as a secondary headache due to head trauma from increased intracranial pressure.  In that sense, it seems too lighthearted to lump that kind of headache in with the headache I got when my teenage son came home too late last night.

Try it.  You'll see a different response from people when you talk about the pain rather than calling it a bad headache.  So my advice is to banish the word "headache".  Unless you have a rowdy, healthy teenager waking up the house at night.  Now that's a headache!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete