Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Choosing An IH Anthem

As I waited for the rain to finally come in the middle of the night last night, I battled all day yesterday with all types of brain pain, brain fog and a litany of other IH symptoms. Today, as some rain has been released from the over-saturated skies, some of the symptoms have subsided, but, in general, the pressure remains.

It is during these high pressure times that two different songs echo in my mind: Pressure by Billy Joel and Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie as my IH Anthem(s). Here are the lyrics and my arguments for each.

Pressure by Billy Joel
LYRICS:
You have to learn to pace yourself
Pressure
You're just like everybody else
Pressure
You've only had to run so far
So good
But you will come to a place
Where the only thing you feel
Are loaded guns in your face
And you'll have to deal with
Pressure
You used to call me paranoid
Pressure
But even you can not avoid
Pressure
You turned the tap dance into your crusade
Now here you are with your faith
And your Peter Pan advice
You have no scars on your face
And you cannot handle pressure
All grown up and no place to go
Psych 1, Psych 2
What do you know?
All your life is Channel 13
Sesame Street
What does it mean?
Pressure
Pressure
Don't ask for help
You're all alone
Pressure
You'll have to answer
To your own
Pressure
I'm sure you'll have some cosmic rationale
But here you are in the ninth
Two men out and three men on
Nowhere to look but inside
Where we all respond to
Pressure
Pressure
All your life is Time Magazine
I read it too
What does it mean?
Pressure
I'm sure you'll have some cosmic rationale
But here you are with your faith
And your Peter Pan advice
You have no scars on your face
And you cannot handle pressure
Pressure, pressure
One, two, three, four
Pressure

REASONS WHY THIS IS A GREAT IH ANTHEM FOR ME:
  • This song gave me a headache long before I ever got diagnosed with this disease!
  • The way the word "Pressure" seemingly interrupts every line directly parallels how my intracranial pressure interrupts my every thought.
  • The lines "You used to call me paranoid ~ Pressure ~ But even you can not avoid ~ Pressure" makes me think about pre-diagnosis versus post-diagnosis. I thought  I was going nuts feeling all of the pressure, but then the doctors confirmed it... I could not avoid PRESSURE.
  • The melody of this song, for me, feels very intrusive like ***PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!*** which is exactly how annoying IH is, no matter how desperately one tries to ignore its existence!

Under Pressure by Queen
LYRICS:
Mm ba ba de
Um bum ba de
Um bu bu bum da de
Pressure pushing down on me
Pressing down on you no man ask for
Under pressure - that burns a building down
Splits a family in two
Puts people on streets
Um ba ba be
Um ba ba be
De day da
Ee day da - that's o.k.
It's the terror of knowing
What this world is about
Watching some good friends
Screaming 'Let me out'
Pray tomorrow - gets me higher
Pressure on people - people on streets
Day day de mm hm
Da da da ba ba
O.k.
Chippin' around - kick my brains around the floor
These are the days it never rains but it pours
Ee do ba be
Ee da ba ba ba
Um bo bo
Be lap
People on streets - ee da de da de
People on streets - ee da de da de da de da
It's the terror of knowing
What this world is about
Watching some good friends
Screaming 'Let me out'
Pray tomorrow - gets me higher high high
Pressure on people - people on streets
Turned away from it all like a blind man
Sat on a fence but it don't work
Keep coming up with love
but it's so slashed and torn
Why - why - why ?
Love love love love love
Insanity laughs under pressure we're cracking
Can't we give ourselves one more chance
Why can't we give love that one more chance
Why can't we give love give love give love give love
give love give love give love give love give love
'Cause love's such an old fashioned word
And love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is ourselves
Under pressure
Under pressure
Pressure 

REASONS WHY THIS IS A GREAT IH ANTHEM FOR ME: 
  • This song has a much more positive message and I have always loved it.
  • The lines "Pressure pushing down on me ~ Pressing down on you no man ask for" are often the first things that come to mind when I start to feel my pressure rising.
  • We all know that not everyone can handle the new reality of a friend with IH, so these words, although in their original context have a different message, seem to utter a small unspoken truth known to IH patients: "It's the terror of knowing ~ What this world is about ~ Watching some good friends ~ Screaming 'Let me out'"
  • But most importantly, I think this is a great anthem because it asks IH-ers "Can't we give ourselves one more chance" and then ends off with a dare: "And love dares you to change our way of ~ Caring about ourselves ~ This is our last dance ~ This is ourselves ~ Under pressure ~ Under pressure ~ Pressure"
 It is difficult for me to make a singular choice in this matter. Honestly, they both work for me depending on the day, the symptoms and how I feel. I guess I am flaky that way. If you are unfamiliar with either of these songs and would like to hear them along with some quirky video, check these out:

This is really one of the weirdest things I have ever seen...




THIS IS AWESOME (*note: I love the Muppets!!)


Do you have a great IH Anthem? Why do you love it?

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete